Erin Hambly

 As a photographer I feel most connected to the listed topics of 'Use of the body' and 'Self-representation.' My self portraiture work concerns the documentation of my physical body as a means of self exploration. Creating and sharing images of my body provokes a feeling of vulnerability within me, yet a simultaneous feeling of liberation and strength, as if self


portraiture allows me to reclaim my physical body detached from all notions of sexualisation as a female growing up in our current society. I'm not concerned with looking attractive, feminine, young, it's rather the opposite. It's a space where my body feels pure and exists as an art form, allowing me to free myself from my own personal insecurities, a space where honest self expression is accepted. My work allows me to use my body as a platform for creation, movement and exploration of the self and my own personal relationships. I often photograph myself on the roughest of days, as a way to escape my body as I know it and to express these difficult emotions and battles I face. It's a release, a sense of real freedom.

Comments

  1. I can agree with your notes on taking performance work out into the open-air. Very chilly

    ReplyDelete
  2. You expressed your thoughts so eloquently. I truly resonate with your description as well. While I have recently shifted my focus from photography to drawing, I have continued to explore self-representation as a central theme in my artistic practice. Currently, I have been engaging in charcoal studies while looking into a mirror, particularly on challenging days. These studies capture myself in unflattering lighting and from unconventional angles.

    Your words perfectly capture the essence of this process, describing it as a means to escape the familiarity of my own body and to convey the difficult emotions and battles we face. It truly is a release and a genuine sense of freedom.

    In your photograph, I can also sense both the vulnerability and liberation that you have expressed. Your work truly embodies the power of self-representation and the exploration of the self.

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences. Your insights have further deepened my appreciation for the complexities and transformative potential of art. Keep up the fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

comments are now disabled for this dialogue

Popular posts from this blog

Demeter Dykes

Esther Sabetpour

Rachael Rutherford