Alice Brookes

 I am a performance artist that works with live performance (sometimes durational) performance to video and performance activism. My body is always my tool to convey and explore identity and self-expression and the questions that raises of the body as an object and voyeurism.



My practice is centred around gender politics and the patriarchal hierarchy that thrives on the assumed gender binary of men and women. I strive to make work that raises questions about gender oppression? and inequalities by using performance and activism that are often entangled, visceral and unsettling.

My thoughts and concepts are fundamentally concerned with identity, sexuality and mimicry and the multiple roles women play. I have a strong focus on domesticity and the global pressure for female perfection, as seen through the patriarchal gaze. I am interested in the notion of women partaking both consciously and subconsciously in gender stereotyping that in turn impacts what they feel they should be and do, including often adhering to polite expectations. I worked in the international fashion industry for over 10 years and even now continue to confront ingrained expectations about female beauty with ultimate ‘value’ being placed on appearance and youth.

Comments

  1. Hello just to say this is me, what a great space to meet other performance artists and share dialogue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree, have also found some really interesting artists and ideas.

      Delete
  2. This is great Alice. There are so many of us questioning those ingrained values. When I think about it, even as a teenager (in the 80's) I found it very conflicting. My rational brain would go against things that made no sense in my head and would question stereotypical roles and assumptions , but my emotional self wanted to be accepted and perfect in the eyes of society. My 40's have been progressively more liberating in that sense and reading your blog post has made me realise I need to bring this into my practice in a more purposeful way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Esther here, the pressure for female perfection and oppression which exists, I think can manifest in so many dark and often unnoticed ways. It’s so internalised. I relate very much to what you wrote in the final paragraph and the image . I feel total controlled by this at times , it’s a massive frustration. I feel by using my body in performance it is a form of activism and part of a fight.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

comments are now disabled for this dialogue

Popular posts from this blog

Demeter Dykes

Esther Sabetpour

Rachael Rutherford