Explorist

My work is predominantly performative and this is documented by self-portraiture, so the topic of this blog and project feels extremely relevant. My work explores ideas of the body in space, and the human body in the natural environment (either as an organism amongst others, or a biological thing amongst human and unnatural elements). Although my work is all technically self-portraiture, I use masks to play with ideas of characters, roles and myth, often referencing folklore, or playing with ideas of classical statues. This anonymity allows the peices to be judged (I hope) on their own value, not because of the specific individual in the image. In many cases this is a play on the heroic nature of these historic precedents, question what masculinity is, and represent a vulnerable naked 'everyman' or human figure.


Many of my peices use my own body to enact roles, or convey ideas (and I would see these less as self portraiture than using myself as material or medium). In other situations I am exploring and sensing my immediate environment with my body and documenting this through photography, especially in reaction to the outdoors, or reacting to the texture, weight, constraints of objects I work with. Playful exploration is an important part of my practice.


In my life modelling practice I am also interested in the performative dynamic between 'artist' and 'model' and the empathetic relationship between those responding/drawing and the model. I am interested in working with others (where they are drawing or photographing me, or we collaboratively explore ideas). There is a greater vulerability in this scenario, but also a more human, and less abstract, connection.

Comments

  1. Have you heard of artist Sin Wai Kin? I feel like you will have great interest in their work

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Caitlyn, no I'll look them up
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would be helpful if you can elaborate on the performative dynamic between 'artist' and 'model'. Quite a few of the artists here have gotten into performance work for the simple reason that they themselves are the first model at hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm using these terms in relation to the life drawing situation, and these terms are established roles, however the 'model' is increasingly being viewed as performer and artist in their own right (i.e. in the writings of Dominic Blake). As somone who is both artist and subject in most of my work, as you say this is primarily as I am available (at short notice!), but also because the physical aspect of creating forms, using space and being naked is an experiential perfomance for me. Sometimes the photos are rexord of this, but often they are peice that I have planned to convey a particular idea, and the anonymity of masks allows my body to represent a human, or a creature rather than me.

      Delete
    2. Good point about the short notice. There is a photograph by Francesca Woodman where one of the models she had booked failed to show, Woodman had to step into that role but further played with the sense of presence by pinning a mug shot to the wall behind the lineup

      Delete
    3. I am glad you write about the male experience of nakedness and thank you so much for the pointer to Dominic Blake I have just found this video

      Delete
  4. Returning to the artist/model dynamic I should remark that I had initially hoped that this project could have been much more centred on the-artist-with-camera ( I've been less interested in photographers of performers ) and able to concentrate on the agency of the performer, as is the case with the (presumed) agency of the self-portraitist. Having however taken in what you and Blake have to say I do warm to some separation of roles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think they are separate and equally interesting scenarios. The output of the photo self portraiture, is slightly governed by the self timer. Often my physical inability to see how the image is framed until afterwards leads to some interesting results. Having said that I do have control of which images I use and how I crop or present them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

comments are now disabled for this dialogue

Popular posts from this blog

Demeter Dykes

Rachael Rutherford

Esther Sabetpour