Linda Cassels


my practice evolved around the body (my body) in space. My aim is to explore self-representation over assumed presentation. As a migrant and person of colour I aim to explore the inferred interpretations of migrants and the black and brown experience in a world where so much stereotyping and misinterpretation of culture and custom has led to a vacuum of blackness empty of the richness and joy of colour and differences. It is my understanding that as humans we draw back to history and what we have been told but this is not necessarily the true depiction of what was. This survey would give me an opportunity to understand how other artists think and express this. It will also afford me a valuable network of other artists and information to refer to whilst making work. Currently, I am working on a 90-day self-portrait challenge, whereby I take an unfiltered selfie every day and post it on Instagram. this exercise is now well past 30 days and I am not sure what I wanted to gain from this yet

Comments

  1. I appreciate that you are holding the mirror for your own regard; keeping the richness and joy topped-up by reflection. A mirror held any other way imports too much of the grayness and monochrome/monoculturality into the image

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'explore self-representation over assumed presentation' interesting and yet hard to do as we, particularly as women adhere to expectations sub consciously all the time.
    Would love to follow your 90 day Portrait challenge on Instagram, do you have a link?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be interested to know what (if anything) you are gaining from comments by viewers with the insta project? And whether those comments are contributing to your working out what you gain from it

    ReplyDelete
  4. more generally, are these daily photographs, whatever, really only serving to feed the Algorithm. OK possibly my jaundiced view as a photographer in film only and thus unable to match that level of productivity.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

comments are now disabled for this dialogue

Popular posts from this blog

Demeter Dykes

Esther Sabetpour

Rachael Rutherford