Frances Willoughby

 I completed ... a project last year to explore the use of photography within my practice. I have begun to take photographic self portraits bound by anxiety and discomfort, exploring home as a place of both security and uncertainty. Obscure bodies and objects situated in unexpected domestic scenarios are brought to life through these photographic works.



Before this I have created sculptures and installations of figurative textile bodies (based on myself). Rather than create a copy or doll it has been interesting to explore this through a performative lens. I am very interested to take part in this conversation because before this I embarked on this project I would not have described myself as a performance artist.

Comments

  1. You take a useful step to move the photographic focus from the made doll to the self; the location of the subjective becomes forcefully your to direct to good effect

    ReplyDelete
  2. This work makes me think of womanhood and connection to house and home. The house being broken down makes me think of breaking down social homes but also feeling trapped by the responsibility and expectations of being a woman, raising a family ect.

    Also have you looked into Emily Speed?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

comments are now disabled for this dialogue

Popular posts from this blog

Demeter Dykes

Esther Sabetpour

Rachael Rutherford