Elena Akaeva

  I’m a performance artist and a photographer. All my works are very personal and is a kind of psychotherapy to me, through my performances I try to understand myself better or even cure.


So I think I fit with the topic of your exhibition:)

To illustrate my work I added photo from my performance Clay. It describes mechanisms of psychological projection and projective interjection.
In this performance I was standing still smeared with a thin layer of clay and audience were encouraged to change my shape in any way they wanted. In the end clay dried.

I wanted to show that people are constantly molding our image, and the image in their heads has nothing to do with us.
They constantly giving us new forms and meanings, driving us into a certain pattern and subsequently changing us into this alien form, so we begin to perceive ourselves with their eyes.
And often people load us with so many meanings and their projections are so strong that it is impossible for us to move and return back to ourselves.

Comments

  1. You are right to note the impact of the other's projections -- you may be too hasty to assume that they can get off with no change from their encounter with you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, my performance works are also very personal and in a way act as a form of therapy.

    Giving the audience the power to change your body shape with clay is an interesting one, in a way a sort of literal way to what we allow to happen continuously in society.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your clay performance and ideas are powerful. I like how you physically suggest "projection" I would love to see more. I too use my work for a sense of personal relief - or therapy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

comments are now disabled for this dialogue

Popular posts from this blog

Demeter Dykes

Esther Sabetpour

Rachael Rutherford