Paul Hartley

 As a multi media artist my work relates to seeing and focusing on objects in space in a literal sense, as well as depicting (metaphorically) the complexity of information and the fluidity of our world, by multi-layering and repetitive calligraphic abstract mark making and mixed media. I hope to encourage the viewer to search for meanings and to appreciate the materials used in its creation. My work also includes sculptural installation and video pieces that deal with focus and blurring in a more fluid way.



‘The Wrong Glasses’ (56secs) is a short work that plays not only with the physical act of focusing, vision and being short-sighted, but also specifically with my self-image and identity and the idea of choosing and wearing glasses, fashion, self image and self delusion. In this video I have used a pair of ‘glasses’ that feature in some of my earlier installations and related sculptural pieces, as well as in other videos that relate to the notion of looking at objects in space. The title of this piece refers to the fact that these glasses are ludicrously inappropriate, oversized and badly designed and also comments upon the nature of chunky trendy glasses much favoured by creative types over the years. In my own case I generally avoid wearing such frames, possibly because it reminds me of my first glasses which were the cheap plastic NHS issue! I now associate this design with the generally negative comments that I received from other people at that time. Now of course I am no longer troubled by this and although I have often shunned the idea of appearing in camera, particularly video, I am now facing up to this and am more relaxed about showing my face and body to others in this way. I have made several videos that feature me in more performance based work. This video is intended to be humorous and hopefully will have universal appeal, in the way that visual slapstick comedy can often do. The title relates to a famous British animated movie.

Comments

  1. Instagram paulhartley557

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it interesting that your work in general concentrates on looking, and you have reached a point where your own difficulties with looking (referred to in your account of this piece) seem to be less of an issue for you now. Does this affect the kind of work you are making ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never really consider short sightedness as a disability but it does inform a lot of my work even now. I have always enjoyed blurred and depth of field tricks in photography and cinematography. It seems to give me a lot of ideas for abstract art work, distorting the image and the way this reflects the world in a metaphorical way interests me too.

      Delete

Post a Comment

comments are now disabled for this dialogue

Popular posts from this blog

Demeter Dykes

Esther Sabetpour

Rachael Rutherford