Mara Cabral


I have a background in contemporary dance and performance and have created and performed my own solos. When I started exploring photography as a medium, self-portraiture came very naturally. I love the freedom it gives me to explore movement and expression and then crystallise moments of it in a photograph. My art is very connected to the notion of human nature and self-exploration. I use it to process and convey feelings. In self-portraiture, my body becomes the medium I use to compose a photo. I try to mold it and visually manipulate it to adjust to the needs of a particular project. As with performance, I need to embody a feeling, a character, and/or a state of mind, for a self portrait to make sense to me. The performative quality of self-portraiture allows for many layers of meaning and interpretation. Images can be relatable at a deep level of understanding even when they are not easily explained by logic.

Comments

  1. Beautiful image!! I love how you discussed the relationship of performance in self portraiture, it’s a lovely example of how the two intersect

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Holly! This is something I am very interested in and I am glad this blog appeared on my path because it has reminded me to again, put some focus and effort in this. I want to take it deeper but find it hard to include this exploration in every day life nowadays.

      Delete
  2. I also use photography for self exploration - now involving embodied practice. I too find great freedom in this." Images can be relatable at a deep level of understanding even when they are not easily explained by logic." This seems a fantastic point to me, i would like to see more of your work please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have a few more examples of self portraiture in here: https://maracabralphotography.weebly.com/self-portraits.html but I do feel I need to keep on exploring this a lot further. I'd love to see your work too and I'm curious about what you mean by 'embodied practice'.

      Delete
  3. The way you describe using self-portraiture as a medium to capture and crystallize moments of movement and expression is truly inspiring. Your description of using your body as the medium to compose a photo showcases the embodiment of a feeling, character, or state of mind, similar to the process in performance. This parallel between performance and self-portraiture highlights the immersive and transformative nature of both practices.

    This particular piece evokes a profound sense of reflection for me, reminiscent of the delicate beauty and transience of a withering flower. The imagery captures the fragility of life itself, conveying a depth of emotion that is truly compelling. It is evident from your self-portrait that your background in dance has imbued you with an effortless poise and grace, beautifully accentuated by the flowing lines and the captivating headpiece you have incorporated. Your execution is simply superb, leaving a lasting impression.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very poetic, beautiful self -portrait, it is already a piece of art in itself

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

comments are now disabled for this dialogue

Popular posts from this blog

Demeter Dykes

Esther Sabetpour

Rachael Rutherford