William Luz

I am interested in the idea of performing for the camera, especially as an artist who draws. I came to this point by wondering how I can stay in the process of making rather than skipping to the made, being in the process, rather than the outcome. I am also interested in the embodied notion of being an artist, when does one be or become an artist?


Putting my body, my body drawing, in the work is a way of celebrating the act of drawing but also exploring the performative notion of making artwork. If I make artwork then I am an artist. By performing for the camera I am made to do something but that doing then becomes something .I am also interested in the kind of knowledge that is held in our bodies and comes out through the movement of our bodies, the kind of knowledge that can not easily be expressed or transmitted through words, or even through a static piece of work made through this movement, 

I want to dance but I can draw. I can’t dance but I want to draw. Drawing as dancing, drawing as thinking made visible, movement as visible thinking.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Demeter Dykes

Esther Sabetpour

Rachael Rutherford