Thomas Oscar Miles



so the series is all about my personal journey with my autism, I create self portraits that tell stories of my neurodivergence and what struggles I go through and what makes me unique. I do this with the hopes of educating others on autism and inspiring fellow autistic creators 
 this photo in particular is about how I struggle sometimes in social situations, people start to become blurs and my brain can’t keep up!


I shot it as a self portrait with a sheet of fabric on a slow shutter speed to show the blur I can feel in life
-


There was a day, probably about a year ago, when I was talking to someone. It felt like such an intense conversation that everything started blurring, I blurred, what I said, what the other person said and what I thought, all began to sway and stir in my mind.


I've had this idea dreamed up for so long, acting as a mental visual when this feeling would ever come back. I felt a responsibility to myself to create this image, as if I felt I needed to portray this feeling for people and myself to better understand, I also felt the pressure to do it justice. I've begun to let go of that fear a little bit.


The reality is that someone out there (you!) could really find a lot of resonation in the struggles with social situations. I owe it to you to create works like these; ones that tell my story truthfully.

Comments

  1. That's definitely a good idea. We can feel your intention just by looking at your photograph. It's a good way to show what it feels like to live with autism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your image speaks to me. I have just been diagnosed with autism and likelyADHD and am on a similar journey. It has been on my mind to create a serious of images, showing how I experience overwhelm…so yes thank, your work does not only speak but also inspires. I would love to see more of your imagery . If you have got an Instagram account and like to connect: @evas.poetic.imagery Eva

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is so evocative--well done. I have an autistic grandson so am very in tune with your descriptions... I'd also like to offer the thought that most people who suffer trauma of some kind also feel 'blurred', as if life is a great big thumb that's smudged your vision of self.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

comments are now disabled for this dialogue

Popular posts from this blog

Opening thoughts: March 22nd

Demeter Dykes

Esther Sabetpour